Undergraduate Academic Programs


Recreational Sport Management


Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree.  Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Craig Ross for academic advising.

Craig Ross
Director, Recreational Sport Management Minor Program
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
HPER 132
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN  47405-7109
(812) 855-3102
cmross [at] indiana [dot] edu

Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.


This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs outside the recreational sport management major, who wish to add a recreational sport management specialty to their studies. This minor requires:

  • successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
  • a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.

Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.

Recreational Sport Management Courses (9 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:

  • HPER-R 160 Foundations of Recreation and Leisure (3 cr.) +S&H
  • HPER-R 206 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.)
  • HPER-R 472 Youth Sport Management (3 cr.)

Recreational Sport Management Electives (6 credits)
Complete two courses from the following list:

  • HPER-P 398 Adapted Physical Education (3 cr.)
  • HPER-R 266 Recreation Facilities Management (3 cr.)
  • HPER-R 302 Aquatics Management (3 cr.)
  • HPER-R 354 Sport and Violence: Influences and Issues (3 cr.)
  • HPER R 365 Leisure and Aging (3 cr.)
  • HPER R 411 Legal Issues in Sport Settings (3 cr.)
  • HPER R 430 Event Planning and Program Development (3 cr.)
  • HPER-R 471 Human Resource Management in Leisure Services (3 cr.)

+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.

Academic Bulletins