Departments & Centers
Recreation, Park & Tourism Studies
Research, Instructional, and Service Projects
Major programs within the department include the following:
- Aquatic Institute The institute advances training and education efforts for all areas of aquatics that occur in communities, waterfronts, theme parks and resorts, and other venues. It also houses centers that are geared specifically for the advancement of specific aquatic interests through teaching, research, and service.
- Bradford Woods Indiana University's nationally recognized outdoor education and camping center has 2,500 acres and is administered by the Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies. More than 10,000 people use the facility each year for workshops, conferences, academic programs, continuing education, research, and retreats. It is also the home of Camp Riley (a national camping demonstration area for people with disabilities) and the national headquarters of the American Camping Association.
- Center for Sport Policy and Conduct Founded in 2000, the CSPC provides a platform for researchers in sport management to investigate a variety of issues and concerns while also providing the opportunity for implementing positive changes in the community. Partnerships with community and international organizations have been developed and maintained in an effort to provide strong links that will yield further research and benefits to the community in the areas of youth sport development, violence prevention, and sport policy.
- Center for Student Leadership Development The center works with existing student leaders who volunteer their time to influence and be involved with their student organizations as well as develop and deliver both academic courses and special extracurricular experiences that expand students' leadership skills and capacities.
- Eppley Institute for Parks and Public Lands The institute provides quality recreational and educational experiences for people through support of agencies and organizations that conserve, protect, and manage natural and cultural resources. The Eppley Institute staff is uniquely qualified to serve park, recreation, and public land management agencies. The Eppley Institute thrives on developing public/private partnerships, customizing training programs, providing applied and fundamental research services, and planning and design for recreation services, parks, public lands, and facilities.
- Executive Development Program This midcareer park and recreation program assists executives in keeping abreast of the changing world and in continuing to develop managerial skills.
- Great Lakes Park Training Institute Serving park executives and their staffs with up-to-date, hands-on techniques, this institute draws administrators, supervisors, and technicians from municipal, regional, state, and federal agencies in the United States and Canada.
- Leisure Research Institute Equipped with the latest in available computer support, this institute provides research support services to students and faculty as well as a focus for departmental research efforts and the expansion of cooperative research projects.
- The National Center on Accessibility The center is a national leader in the movement to include people with disabilities in recreation, parks, and tourism. Through its comprehensive services of research, technical assistance, and education, NCA focuses on Universal Design and practical accessibility solutions that create inclusive recreation opportunities for people of all abilities. The NCA is a program of Indiana University's Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies in cooperation with the National Park Service Accessibility Management Program.
- Other Research and Service Projects Graduate and undergraduate students are afforded non-classroom experiences through such programs and park and recreational facilities as:
Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department
Division of Campus Recreational Sports
Indiana Memorial Union
Institute for the Study of Developmental Disabilities
Outdoor Recreation Consortium
State and national forests, parks, and recreational areas
YMCA Fitness Center and youth agencies