Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Performance, Organ
X70 University Choral Ensembles (2 cr.) or, with permission of choral department, X2 Piano Accompanying (2 cr.) each fall and spring semester.
Q400 Organ. Minimum of 4 credit hours the first four semesters and 6 credit hours each subsequent semester (students who have completed 40 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 3). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital. I500 Organ Masterclass (0 cr.) (to be taken concurrently with each semester of Q400).
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
Required: Four semesters of keyboard study (2-2-2-2 cr.). P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) is required the first 3 semesters. One semester of Y110 Harpsichord (2 cr.) or two semesters of F300 Piano Accompanying (1 cr.) may substitute for the fourth semester of P100 with permission of the organ department chair and the successful passing of the piano component of the keyboard proficiency administered by the organ faculty. The organ component of the keyboard proficiency is satisfied by the successful completion of C401-C404 Sacred Music I-IV.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- M410 Composer or Genre (3 cr.)
- T410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.)
Other Music Courses
18/19 credit hours
- C401 Sacred Music I (3 cr.)
- C402 Sacred Music II (3 cr.)
- C403 Sacred Music III (3 cr.)
- C404 Sacred Music IV (3 cr.)
- G370 Techniques for Conducting (2 cr.)
- G371 Choral Conducting (2 cr.)
- 2 or 3 credit hours in one pedagogy course:
- E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.)
- E489 Organ Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- E493 Piano Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E494 Vocal Pedagogy (3 cr.)
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
Coursework in Religious Studies is strongly encouraged.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.