Bachelor of Music Education Degrees
Bachelor of Music Education, Instrumental Teaching-Strings
This B.M.E. emphasis results in State of Indiana K-12 All-Grades certification in Instrumental— General Music. Graduates are trained to work with general music classes and instrumental music classes and ensembles in public schools with specialization in the string area.
X040 University Instrumental Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which a student is registered for any course, music or non-music, except during the student teaching semester.
Minimum of 2 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed. Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-divisional examination, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Students whose primary instrument is not piano, organ, or harpsichord must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/ Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Other Secondary Performance
Required for keyboard or voice students: secondary orchestra instrument (2-2-2-2 cr.).
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Music Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Other Music Courses
27 credit hours
- E131 Freshman Colloquium in Music Education (2 cr.)
- E231 General Music Methods K-12 (2 cr.)
- E480 Methods and Materials for Teaching String Music (2 cr.)
- E491 Senior Seminar in Music Education (2 cr.)
- F200 Music Education Instrumental Laboratory (1-1 cr.)
- F261 String Class Techniques (2 cr.)
- F281 Brass Instrument Techniques (2 cr.)
- F337 Woodwind Techniques (2 cr.)
- F338 Percussion Techniques (2 cr.)
- G370 Techniques for Conducting (2 cr.)
- G373 Instrumental Conducting (2 cr.)
- 4 credit hours selected from:
- E303 Violin/Viola Pedagogy I (2 cr.)
- E304 Violin/Viola Pedagogy II (2 cr.)
- E306 Cello Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E315 Double Bass Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E481 Methods and Materials for Teaching Instrumental Jazz (2 cr.)
- G390 String Orchestral Literature (2 cr.).
- I201 Master Class in Music Education (0-0-0-0 cr.), required fall and spring semesters of the first two years.
- I202 Master Class in Music Education for Student Teaching (1 cr.) required during the student teaching semester.
School of Education Courses
29 credit hours
- EDUC K205 Introduction to Exceptional Children (3 cr.)
- EDUC P254 Educational Psychology (3 cr.)
- EDUC M344* Methods and Materials for Teaching Instrumental Music (3 cr.)
- EDUC M436* Administration of School Orchestras (2 cr.)
- EDUC M482* Student Teaching (16 cr.)
- EDUC M101 Field Experience (0 cr.)
- EDUC M201 Field Experience (0, 2 cr.)
- EDUC M301 Field Experience (0, 0 cr.).
Those courses marked with an asterisk have admission to the Teacher Education Program of the School of Education, including the Praxis I, as a prerequisite.
Instrumental majors are required to participate in at least one spring semester of Young Winds as partial fulfillment of EDUC M301 Laboratory/Field Experience.
See General Education Common Ground requirements, and CMCL C121 Public Speaking (3 cr.)
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all courses.