Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Performance, Piano
Required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which a student is registered for any course, music or non-music. Students admitted to the upper division of the Jacobs School of Music must register for X002 Piano Accompanying (2 cr.). All others must register for X040 University Instrumental Ensembles (2 cr.), X060 Early Music Ensembles (2 cr.), or X070 University Choral Ensembles (2 cr.).
P400 Piano Undergraduate Major. Minimum of 6 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed 48 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 3). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital.
Must be completed prior to upper-division examination.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- or equivalent honors courses.
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- M410 Composer or Genre (3 cr.)
- T410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.)
Other Music Courses
12 credit hours
- E493 Piano Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- F300 Piano Accompanying (1-1-1-1 cr.), taken in the first four semesters of enrollment.
- Elective: 6 credit hours to be chosen from undergraduate courses for music majors. Secondary performance study allowed on an instrument/voice other than one's major.
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.