Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Early Music (Instrumental Emphasis)
This degree is offered according to the available faculty for the following instruments: early violin/viola, early cello, early oboe, early flute, viola da gamba, lute, recorder, harpsichord, sackbut.
X060 Early Music Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which a student is registered for any course, music or non-music.
Y450 Early Music Chamber Ensemble (1-1-1-1 cr.).
Performance Major, Early Instrument
Minimum of 5 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed a total of 40 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 3). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination, or an examination on an equivalent chordal instrument. Students (except harpsichord and lute majors) must take Y110 Harpsichord (2 cr.) or Y110 Lute (2 cr.) each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) or equivalent
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses.
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- M410 Composer or Genre (3 cr.)
- T410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.)
Other Music Courses
14 credit hours
- M435 Performance Practices Before 1750 (2 cr.)
- F401 Accompaniment of Baroque Music (2 cr.)
- M458 Topics in Early Music (1-1 cr.)
- One of M415 Interpreting Unaccompanied Bach (2 cr.), M416 Advanced Topics in Early Music (2 cr.), M417-M418-M419-M420-M421 Literature and Performance Practice I-II-III-IV-V (2-2-2-2-2 cr.)
6 credit hours including a minimum of 2 credit hours in pedagogy courses such as E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.), E303 Violin/Viola Pedagogy (2 cr.), E306 Cello Pedagogy (2 cr.), or E493 Piano Pedagogy (2 cr.). Remaining electives to be chosen from undergraduate courses for music majors. Secondary performance study allowed on an instrument/voice other than one's major. Secondary piano (P100) allowed only after completion of the keyboard proficiency.
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.