Music instruction at Indiana University dates from the year 1893, but it was not until 1910 that a Department of Music offering music for credit was officially organized, with Charles D. Campbell as head. In 1919 Barzille Winfred Merrill was appointed head of the department and, in 1921, dean of the newly established School of Music. He was succeeded in 1938 by Dean Robert L. Sanders. In 1947 the appointment of Wilfred C. Bain as dean marked the beginning of a period of rapid growth and expansion. Under the 24-year leadership of Dean Charles H. Webb beginning in 1973, the School of Music continued its development and commitment to excellence. David G. Woods was appointed to the deanship in 1997, followed by the appointment of Dean Gwyn Richards in 2001. In the fall of 2005, the School of Music was named the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music in recognition of a major gift received in honor of Barbara and David H. Jacobs of Cleveland. Today the Jacobs School of Music is recognized as one of the leading institutions of its kind.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.

Previous Bulletins

Students are ordinarily subject to the curricular requirements outlined in the Bulletin in effect at the start of their current degree. See below for links to previous Bulletins.