String Technical Degree
Associate of Science, String Instrument Technology
Entrance to curriculum only with permission. A student in this program must enroll through the Jacobs School of Music for a minimum of two semesters.
String Instrument Technology
30 credit hours
- U470 Violin Repair I-II-III-IV (6-6-6-6 cr.)
- U274-U275 History of Violin Making I-II (3-3 cr.)
- Graduation examination
X091 String Repair Technical Crew required each semester of enrollment. A minimum of four semesters is required.
12 credit hours
Option I: Upper strings selected from S110 Violin Elective/Secondary or S120 Viola Elective/Secondary (2-2-2-2 cr.), and lower strings selected from S130 Cello Elective/ Secondary or S140 Double Bass Elective/ Secondary (2-2 cr.).
Option II: Lower strings selected from S130 Cello Elective/Secondary or S140 Double Bass Elective/Secondary (2-2-2-2 cr.), and upper strings selected from S110 Violin Elective/Secondary or S120 Viola Elective/Secondary (2-2 cr.).
Core Music Courses
6 credit hours
- Z101 Music for the Listener I (3 cr.) and Z111 Introduction to Music Theory (3 cr.)
- Or, for students with sufficient music background, T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.) and T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.).
17 credit hours
- English Composition (3 cr.) ENG-W131 or W170
- Arts and Humanities (3 cr.)
- Social and Historical Studies (3 cr.)
- Natural and Mathematical Sciences (3 cr.)
- Electives 5 credit hours selected from general education course list or foreign language courses.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non‑music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 60, excluding major ensemble and I400.