Bachelor of Science Degrees
Music and an Outside Field
This curriculum provides a double focus in music and another area approved by the director of undergraduate studies. Outside fields may be:
- an area other than music;
- Jacobs School of Music associate degrees in technology (audio or string instrument technology); or
- an interdisciplinary individualized music cognate area.
Applications for approval of an individualized music cognate area are available in the Jacobs School of Music undergraduate office.
Required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which the student is registered for any course, music or non–music. (2 cr.)
- Instrumental students, X040 University Instrumental Ensembles;
- Vocal students, X070 University Choral Ensembles;
- Keyboard students, X070 University Choral Ensembles or, with permission of the choral department, X002 Piano Accompanying.
Instrument or voice: minimum of 2 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed. Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Students whose primary performance area is not guitar, piano, organ, or harpsichord must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Other Music Courses
17 credit hours
Minimum of 5 credit hours selected from music major undergraduate courses in the following areas:
- sacred music
- music education
- music history
- music theory
- unclassified courses
A maximum of 12 credit hours may be selected in performance study. For students whose primary performance area is not piano, P100 Elective/Secondary Piano taken after the keyboard proficiency examination is passed may be used toward these 12 credit hours.
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
27 credit hours subject to approval of the director of undergraduate studies and the advisor of the outside field department or program.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.