Bachelor of Science Degrees
Music and an Outside Field (Jazz Studies Emphasis)
Required every fall semester, spring semester, and summer term in which the student is registered for any course, music or non-music. (2 cr.) A minimum of four semesters of jazz band is required.
O450 Jazz Chamber Ensemble (1-1-1-1 cr.).
Minimum of 2 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed. Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, senior jazz recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
The sequence of piano courses required for all jazz majors who are not piano majors is P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.), P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.), P201 Jazz Piano Class 1 (2 cr.), and P202 Jazz Piano Class 2 (2 cr.). Entering students take an examination placing them into the appropriate course in the sequence. Continued study is required each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination, administered by the jazz department, is passed. The keyboard proficiency examination is also required of jazz piano majors.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses.
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Jazz Major Courses
- M395 Contemporary Jazz and Soul Music (3 cr.)
- O321 Jazz Improvisation 1 (3 cr.)
- O324 Jazz Improvisation 4 (3 cr.)
- O325 Rhythm Section Literature and Performance Practice (2-2-2-2 cr.) is required for jazz bass, guitar, percussion, and piano majors.
Required for jazz majors excluding bass and percussion majors:
- O318 Styles and Analysis of Jazz 1 (2 cr.)
- O322 Jazz Improvisation 2 (3 cr.)
- O323 Jazz Improvisation 3 (3 cr.)
See General Education Common Ground requirements.
27 credit hours, subject to approval of the director of undergraduate studies and the advisor of the outside field department or program.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.