Bachelor of Music Education Degrees
Bachelor of Music Education General Music Teaching
This B.M.E. emphasis results in State of Indiana K-12 All-Grades certification in Vocal-General Music. Graduates are trained to work with general music classes and choral ensembles in public schools with specialization in general music teaching.
X070 University Choral Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and second summer session in which a student is registered for any course, music or non-music, except during the student teaching semester. At least one semester must be spent in each of the following: International Vocal Ensemble, Singing Hoosiers, and a traditional choral ensemble.
Minimum of 2 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed. Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-divisional examination, senior recital.
Seondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Students whose primary instrument is not piano, organ, or harpsichord must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Other Secondary Performance
Required for students who are not majoring in voice: Voice V100 Voice Elective/Secondary (2-2-2 cr.). Instrumental students must take both secondary piano and secondary voice.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Music Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Other Music Courses
27 credit hours
- E131 Freshman Colloquium in Music Education (2 cr.)
- E231 General Music Methods K-12 (2 cr.)
- E312 Arranging for Instrumental and Vocal Groups (2 cr.)
- E491 Senior Seminar in Music Education (3 cr.)
- E494 Vocal Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- F205 Introduction to Instrumental Techniques (3 cr.)
- F302 Classroom Instrument Techniques (2 cr.)
- F412 The Children’s Chorus (2 cr.)
- F414 Music in Early Childhood (2 cr.)
- F415 Orff/Dalcroze/Kodály, (2 cr.)
- G370 Techniques for Conducting (2 cr.)
- G371 Choral Conducting I (2 cr.)
- I201 Master Class in Music Education (0-0-0-0 cr.) required fall and spring semesters of the first two years.
- I202 Master Class in Music Education for Student Teaching (0 cr.) required during the student teaching semester.
School of Education Courses
30 credit hours
- EDUC K205 Introduction to Exceptional Children (3 cr.)
- EDUC P254 Educational Psychology (3 cr.)
- EDUC M342* Methods and Materials for Teaching Elementary Music (3 cr.)
- EDUC M343* Methods and Materials for Teaching Choral Music (3 cr.)
- EDUC M482* Student Teaching (16 cr.)
- EDUC M101 Field Experience (0 cr.)
- EDUC M201 Field Experience (0, 2 cr.)
- EDUC M301 Field Experience (0, 0 cr.).
Those courses marked with an asterisk have admission to the Teacher Education Program of the School of Education, including the Praxis I, as a prerequisite.
27 credit hours
- Written and Oral Expression 9 credit hours. English composition, 3 credit hours or competency; other written and oral expression, 6 credit hours which must include CMCL C121 Public Speaking (3 cr.) or CMCL C122 Interpersonal Communication (3 cr.).
- Life and Physical Sciences and Mathematics 9 credit hours, to be chosen from at least two different departments.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences 9 credit hours, to be chosen from at least two different departments.
To Complete Degree
Free music or non-music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all courses.