Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Performance, Woodwind Instruments (Multiple)
Prerequisite: Admission to B.M. (single instrument), B.M.E., or B.S.O.F. degree program. Admission to the multiple woodwinds degree program by audition on two secondary instruments after the first semester of study on the primary instrument.
X040 University Instrumental Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and second summer session in which a student is registered for any course, music or non–music.
Chamber Music Ensemble
F450 Chamber Music (1-1-1-1 cr.).
6 credit hours for the first semester, minimum of 4 credit hours for each subsequent semester until the senior recital is passed (students who have completed 34 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 3). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital.
Other Secondary Performance
14 credit hours
Option A (Five Instruments)
|Flute||W120 Oboe (2-2 cr.), W130 Clarinet (2-2 cr.), W140 Bassoon (2-2 cr., W150 Saxophone (2 cr.)|
||W110 Flute (2-2 cr.), W130 Clarinet (2-2 cr.), W140 Bassoon (2-2 cr.), W150 Saxophone (2 cr.)|
W110 Flute (2-2 cr.), W120 Oboe (2-2 cr.), W140 Bassoon (2-2 cr.), W150 Saxophone (2 cr.)
||W110 Flute (2-2 cr.), W120 Oboe (2-2 cr.), W130 Clarinet (2-2 cr.), W150 Saxophone (2 cr.)|
|Saxophone||W110 Flute (2-2 cr.), W120 Oboe (2-2 cr.), W130 Clarinet (2-2 cr.), W140 Bassoon (2 cr.|
Option B (Three Instruments)
First Secondary: Woodwind Instrument: W1-0 (2-2-2-2 cr.)
Second Secondary: Woodwind Instrument: W1-0 (2-2-2 cr.)
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Students who are woodwind majors must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
7 credit hours
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- <410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.)
Other Music Courses
Elective: 6 credit hours including a minimum of 2 credit hours in pedagogy courses such as:
- E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.)
- E303 Violin/Viola Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E306 Cello Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E459 Instrumental Pedagogy (2 cr.)
Electives may also include courses for music majors in sacred music, music education, techniques, conducting, composition, music history, music theory, opera, and unclassified courses.
A maximum of 4 credit hours in early instruments or ballet may be counted in this area.
24 credit hours
- Written and Oral Expression English composition, 2 credit hours or competency.
- Foreign Language 4-8 credit hours in a single language or proficiency, equivalent to two semesters of first-year language study.
- Humanities 3 credit hours.
- Life and Physical Sciences and Mathematics 3 credit hours.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences 3 credit hours.
- Electives 6-10 credit hours selected from “General Education Requirements.”
To Complete Degree
Free music or non–music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.