Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Performance, Orchestral Instrument or Guitar
This degree is available for flute (W410), oboe (W420), clarinet (W430), bassoon (W440), saxophone (W450), horn (B410), trumpet (B420), trombone (B430), euphonium (B440), tuba (B450), percussion (D400), violin (S410), viola (S420), violoncello (S430), double bass (S440), guitar (L400), and harp (H400).
X040 University Instrumental Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and second summer session in which a student is registered for any course, music or non–music. X070 University Choral Ensembles or X060 Early Music Ensembles may be used only by special permission.
(1-1-1-1 cr.), specified by instrument.
- Guitar and Strings: F450 Chamber Music (1-1-1-1 cr.), (double bass majors will substitute F419 Orchestral Repertoire)
- Brass and Woodwinds: F450 Chamber Music (1-1-1-1 cr.), (1 or 2 credit hours of X420 may be substituted)
- Percussion: X490 Percussion Ensemble (1-1-1-1 cr.)
- Harp: F449 Harp Ensemble or F450 Chamber Music (1-1-1-1 cr.)
Minimum of 6 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed a total of 48 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 3). Harp and percussion students may take two semesters of 4 credits rather than 6 credits. Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division hearing, junior recital, senior recital. Double bass students substitute an orchestral repertoire examination for one of the required recitals. Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
Students except for guitar and harp majors must take an examination for placement in P111 Piano Class 1, Music Majors (2 cr.); P121 Piano Class 2, Music Majors (2 cr.); P131 Piano Class 3, Music Majors (2 cr.); P141 Piano Class 4, Music Majors (2 cr.); or P100 Piano Elective/Secondary (2 cr.) and continue study each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
27 credit hours
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.), T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical Skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- M410 Composer or Genre (3 cr.)
- T410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.).
Other Music Courses
6 elective credit hours including a minimum of 2 credit hours in pedagogy courses such as:
- E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.)
- E303 Violin/Viola Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E306 Cello Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E315 Double Bass Pedagogy (2 cr.)
- E413 Harp Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- E459 Instrumental Pedagogy (2 cr.)
Elective courses may also include courses for music majors in sacred music, music education, techniques, conducting, composition, music history, music theory, opera, and unclassified courses. A maximum of 4 credit hours in early instruments or ballet may be counted in this area.
24 credit hours
- Written and Oral Expression English composition, 2 credit hours or competency.
- Foreign Language 4-8 credit hours in a single language or proficiency, equivalent to two semesters of first-year language study.
- Humanities 3 credit hours.
- Life and Physical Sciences and Mathematics 3 credit hours.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences 3 credit hours.
- Electives 6-10 credit hours selected from “General Education Requirements.”
To Complete Degree
Free music or non–music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.