Bachelor of Music Degrees
Bachelor of Music in Early Music (Vocal Emphasis)
X060 Early Music Ensembles (2 cr.) required every fall semester, spring semester, and second summer session in which a student is registered for any course, music or non–music.
Chamber Music Ensemble
F450 Chamber Music (1-1-1-1 cr.).
Y410 Early Music Performance: Undergraduate Majors. Minimum of 3 credit hours each semester until senior recital is passed (students who have completed a total of 24 credit hours and the senior recital may reduce credit hours to 2). Entrance audition, freshman jury, upper-division examination, junior recital, senior recital.
Secondary Piano and Keyboard Proficiency
All students must pass a keyboard proficiency examination, or an examination on an equivalent chordal instrument. Students must take Y110 Harpsichord (2 cr.) or Y110 Lute (2 cr.) each semester until the keyboard proficiency examination is passed.
Core Music Courses
- Placement examination or T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr.)
- T132 Musical Skills I (1 cr.)
- T151 Music Theory and Literature I (3 cr.)
- T152 Music Theory and Literature II (3 cr.)
- T231 Musical Skills II (1 cr.)
- T232 Musical Skills III (1 cr.)
- T251 Music Theory and Literature III (3 cr.)
- T252 Music Theory and Literature IV (3 cr.)
- T331 Musical Skills IV (1 cr.)
- T351 Music Theory and Literature V (3 cr.)
- M401 History and Literature of Music I (4 cr.)
- M402 History and Literature of Music II (4 cr.)
- Or equivalent honors courses.
A grade of C or higher is required in T109 Rudiments of Music I, T132 Musical Skills I, T231 Musical skills II, T232 Musical Skills III, and T331 Musical Skills IV.
Advanced Music Literature and Music Theory
3 credit hours selected from:
- M410 Composer or Genre (3 cr.)
- T410 Topics in Music Theory (3 cr.)
- T412 Advanced Aural and Keyboard Techniques (3 cr.)
- T416 Counterpoint: Variable Topics (3 cr.)
- T417 Analysis of Tonal Music (3 cr.)
- T418 Music and Ideas (3 cr.)
Other Music Courses
10 credit hours
Required: M435 Performance Practices before 1750 (3 cr.)
Elective: 7 credit hours including a minimum of 2 credit hours in pedagogy courses such as E130 Introduction to Music Learning (2 cr.) or E494 Vocal Pedagogy (3 cr.).
Electives may also include courses for music majors in sacred music, music education, techniques, conducting, composition, music history, music theory, opera, and unclassified courses.A maximum of 4 credit hours in ballet may be counted in this area.
Recommended: U233 Applied French Diction for Singers (1 cr.), U243 Applied German Diction for Singers (1 cr.), U253 Applied Italian Diction for Singers (1 cr.), and U361 English Diction for Singers (1 cr.)
24-35 credit hours
Written and Oral Expression English composition, 2 credit hours or competency.
Foreign Language 12-24 credit hours or proficiency, equivalent to two semesters of first-year language study.
Three of the following language sequences are required:
- Italian: FRIT M100 Elementary Italian I (4 cr.) and M150 Elementary Italian II (4 cr.); or M115 Accelerated Elementary Italian (4 cr.).
- French: FRIT F100 Elementary French I (4 cr.) and F150 Elementary French II (4 cr.); or F115 Accelerated Elementary French (4 cr.).
- German: GER G100 Beginning German I (4 cr.) and G150 Beginning German II: Language and Culture (4 cr.); or G105 Accelerated Elementary German I (5 cr.).
- Latin: CLAS L100 Elementary Latin I (4 cr.) and L150 Elementary Latin II (4 cr.).
Humanities 3 credit hours.
Life and Physical Sciences and Mathematics 3 credit hours.
Social and Behavioral Sciences 3 credit hours.
Electives 0-3 credit hours selected from “General Education Requirements.”
To Complete Degree
Free music or non–music electives as needed to bring the total credit hours to 120, excluding major ensemble and I400.