Students may fulfill this requirement in any one of the following ways:
1. Exemption without credit. One of the following scores required: SAT Critical Reading 670 or above; ACT English 32 or above; or Advanced Placement English 4 or 5.
2. Exemption with credit. Scores required: SAT Writing Test 660 or above and one of the following: SAT Critical Reading 670 or above, ACT English 32 or above, or Advanced Placement English 4 or 5. Students must also apply to the Department of English, Ballantine Hall 442, Bloomington, IN 47405.
3. Completion of any of the following courses with a grade of C or higher. (Please note that this grade is higher than what is required for the campus-wide General Education English Composition requirement. By fulfilling the School of Journalism's requirement you will also fulfill the GenEd English Composition requirement.):
- CMLT-C 110 Writing the World (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 170 Introduction to Argumentative Writing: Projects in Reading and Writing (3 cr.--this topic only)
Courses used for English composition may not be used to fulfill any other requirement.
Students must successfully complete, with a grade of C- or better, one of the following courses (or the MATH-D 116/D 117 sequence*). (Please note that this grade is higher than what is required for the campus-wide General Education Mathematical Modeling requirement. By fulfilling the School of Journalism's requirement you will also fulfill the GenEd Mathematical Modeling requirement.):
- MATH-D 116 and D 117 Introduction to Finite Mathematics I and II (2 cr. + 2 cr.)*
- MATH-J 113 Introduction to Calculus with Applications (3 cr.)
- MATH-M 118 Finite Mathematics (3 cr.)
- MATH-V 118 Finite Mathematics with Applications: Finite Mathematics for the Social and Biological Sciences (3 cr.)
- MATH-V 118 Finite Mathematics with Applications: Finite and Consumer Math (3 cr.)
- MATH-S 118 Honors Finite Mathematics (3 cr.)
- MATH-M 119 Brief Survey of Calculus I (3 cr.)
- MATH-M 211 Calculus I (4 cr.)
- MATH-M 213 Accelerated Calculus (4 cr.)
* NOTE: MATH-D 116/D 117 is a two-course sequence. A grade of C- or better is required in both courses.
MATH-M 118, V 118, or D 116 and D 117 are recommended for students who want to prepare for the required statistics course.
Students who have scored below 400 on the SAT mathematics section or below 20 on the ACT mathematics section are advised to enroll in MATH-M 014 before fulfilling the mathematics requirement.