Undergraduate Academic Programs
Outdoor Recreation and Resource Management
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Doug Knapp for academic advising.
Director, Outdoor Recreation and Resource Management Minor
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of HPER
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
dknapp [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs outside the Outdoor Recreation and Resource Management major, who wish to add this specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Outdoor Recreation and Resource Management Core Courses (6 cr.):
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-R 160 Foundations of Recreation and Leisure (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 271 Dynamics of Outdoor Recreation (3 cr.)
Outdoor Recreation and Resource Management Elective Courses (9 cr.):
Complete 9 credits from the following list of courses or consult your advisor for other choices:
(A minimum of 6 credits in these electives must be in courses at the 300/400 level.)
- HPER-R 270 Inclusive Recreation (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 277 Introduction to Therapeutic Recreation (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 280 Natural History (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 338 Integrated Resource Management (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 342 Introduction to Therapeutic Outdoor Programs (1 cr.)
- HPER-R 345 Outdoor Experiential Education: Instructional Techniques (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 356 Field Techniques in Environmental Education (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 357 Applied Ecology: Water Communities (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 372 Interpretation and Tour Guiding (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 378 Techniques in Therapeutic Recreation (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 385 Wilderness and Protected Lands (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 399 Practicum in Therapeutic Outdoor Programs (2-3 cr.)
- HPER-R 412 Principles of Therapeutic Outdoor Programs (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 424 Shipwreck Parks and Underwater Museums
- HPER-R 429 Ecotourism: Administration and Management (3 cr.)
- Courses from the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Program (CORE) (17 cr.)