Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Harriet Castrataro for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of HPER
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
hcastrat [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs who wish to add a gerontology specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Gerontology Core Courses (9 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-C 315 Health in the Later Years (3 cr.)
- HPER-C 354 Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Gerontology (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 348 Human Development III: Early, Middle, and Late Adulthood (3 cr.)
Gerontology Course (3 cr.)
Compete one course from the following:
- HPER-C 335 Contemporary Issues in Aging and Health (3 cr.)
- HPER-C 403 Public Health Program Planning (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 453 Family Life Education (3 cr.)
Gerontology Elective Course (3 cr.)
Complete any one course from the following which was not used above:
- HPER-C 335 Aging Health, and Diverse Populations (3 cr.)
- HPER-C 403 Public Health Program Planning2 (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 453 Family Life Education** (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 366 Therapeutic Interventions with the Elderly2 (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 150 Introduction to Life Span Human Development (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.)
- HPER-F 460 Grief in the Family Context (3 cr.)
- HPER-H 220 Death and Dying (3 cr.)
- HPER-N 331 Life Cycle Nutrition (3 cr.)
- HPER-R 365 Leisure and Aging (3 cr.)
- SPEA-H 320 Health Systems Administration (3 cr.)
- SPHS-S 307 Cognition/Communication in Aging (3 cr.)
- A COLL Topics course may be taken as an elective with advisor approval.
Note: Two prerequisite courses, HPER-F 150 and HPER-F 258, or their equivalents, are required for this minor. For this reason, an additional 6 credit hours will be required for students without any background in life span development or family interaction.