Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Professor Carol Kennedy-Armbruster for academic advising.
Director, Fitness Instruction Minor
Department of Kinesiology
School of HPER
HPER 296 D
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
cakenned [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the fitness specialist major, who wish to add a fitness instruction specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 20 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Required Courses (20 credits):
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-P 205 Structural Kinesiology (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 216 Current Concepts and Applications in Physical Fitness (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 217 Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 218 Methods of Personal Fitness Instruction (3 cr.) (P: P216)
- HPER-P 409 Basic Physiology of Exercise (3 cr.) (P: PHSL-P 215)
- PHSL-P 215 Basic Human Physiology (5 cr.)
Notes: Current CPR certification is required for students to sit for a national certification examination. Certification in CPR is only acceptable from the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council. Completion of this minor does not qualify students to sit for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Fitness Instructor Certification.