Academic Policies & Procedures


Independent Study

Course work taken online or via correspondence may be accomplished through the Division of Extended Studies, which is part of the School of Continuing Studies. Special permission of the executive associate dean, School of HPER, is required of students registering for independent study course work. A minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA is required for a student to enroll in independent study course work. Students applying independent study toward degree requirements must demonstrate consistent progress toward course completion.

No more than 6 credit hours of independent study courses may be active at a time. A maximum of 30 credit hours of such courses may be counted toward a HPER degree. Courses taken by independent study may not be used to meet the HPER residency requirement. CMCL-C 121 Public Speaking may not be taken by independent study.

Academic Bulletins