Departments & Centers
Applied Health Science
Research, Instructional, and Service Projects
In addition to offering a variety of courses and degree programs, the department is continuously involved in a number of innovative research, instructional, and service projects that include the following:
- Center for Health and Safety Studies provides support services to the university community, to the profession, and to the state of Indiana through conferences, research projects, and the management of grants and contracts. Director: Torabi.
- Center for Minority Health has the mission of research, outreach, programming, and training with regard to health disparities. Director: Torabi.
- Center for Sexual Health Promotion is a collaborative effort of sexual health scholars from across the IU campuses and strategic partner academic institutions around the globe. These scholars, in partnership with practitioners from community-based health organizations, government, and industry, work toward advancing the field of sexual health through research, education, and training. Director: Reece.
- Heartland OSHA Training Institute and Education Center promotes educational, training, and research initiatives supporting safe communities in the Heartland, and serves as a designed OSHA center in collaboration with the U of Wisconsin-Whitewater. It provides non-credit courses to develop safety trainers to meet OSHA training requirements. Director: Smith.
- Indiana Prevention Resource Center is a statewide clearinghouse of prevention technical assistance and information about alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, funded in part by a contract with the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, Division of Mental Health. The mission of the center is strengthening prevention efforts through education, resources, and research. Director: Gassman.
- Indiana University Institute for Drug Abuse Prevention is directed by faculty in the Department of Applied Health Science and provides a research and service infrastructure for a wide range of drug prevention grants and contracts. Co-directors: Gassman and Torabi.
- Rural Center for AIDS/STD Prevention has its major focus as the promotion of AIDS/STD prevention in rural America. Senior Director: Yarber. Co-director: Torabi.
- Tobacco Control and Wellness Research Working Group provides advanced training to graduate students interested in tobacco control and wellness research. Its goals include cultivating tobacco control and wellness research partnerships between faculty and graduate students. Director: Seo.