Natural and Mathematical Sciences
Courses in Natural and Mathematical Sciences will expose students to the nature and methods of scientific inquiry, emphasizing quantitative approaches to the testing of falsifiable hypotheses. These courses will begin to provide students with the tools and skills required not only to understand physical and biological phenomena but also to discover them through theoretically based inquiry, rigorous analytical thinking, and/or the collection and interpretation of empirical data, broadly interpreted. Development of these skills is essential for preparing students to be informed and active participants in modern society.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirement will demonstrate
- an understanding of scientific inquiry and the bases for technology;
- the ability to model and understand the physical and natural world;
- the ability to collect and interpret data, think critically, and conduct theoretically based inquiry;
- the ability to solve problems;
- analytical and/or quantitative skills.