IU Bulletins HomeBloomington Campus
Indiana University
School of Continuing Studies 2001-2003 Bulletin

Request School of Continuing Studies 2001-2003 Application Packet

School of Continuing Studies 2001-2003 Bulletin Table of Contents

School of
Continuing Studies
Academic Bulletin

School of Continuing Studies 
Director of General Studies 
Indiana University Bloomington 
Owen Hall 101 
790 E. Kirkwood Avenue 
Bloomington, IN 47405-7101 
Toll Free: (800) 334-1011 
Fax: (812) 855-8680 Local: (812) 855-2292 
Contact School of Continuing Studies 

Financial Information

Financing Your Degree
VA Benefits

Financing Your Degree

You may obtain information about scholarships, loans, and grants through the financial aid office on each Indiana University campus.

Employment opportunities in various Indiana University offices and organizations are listed in your local campus career services and/or student affairs offices.

Fee Courtesy
You are eligible for fee courtesy if, by the end of the first week of classes for the semester or first summer session, you are (1) an employee on full-time paid appointment (100 percent FTE) at Indiana University, (2) a retired employee eligible for group life insurance, or (3) a disabled employee receiving long-term disability benefits.

To receive Dependent Child Fee Courtesy, on the first day of the session you (1) must be a dependent child or stepchild of an eligible employee or a child whose legal guardian is an eligible employee, (2) cannot be considered independent for other types of financial assistance, (3) must be under 24 years of age, (4) must be unmarried, (5) must have the same permanent home address as at least one parent, and (6) must be enrolled as a dependent student.

You are also eligible for fee courtesy if you are a dependent child of a deceased parent or guardian who was eligible at the time of death (providing you remain a dependent of the surviving parent) and on the first day of the session, you meet conditions (2) through (6) above. Obtain addi-tional information from your campus human resources management office.

Important: At this time, Indiana University is unable to administer federal or state financial aid for students pursuing degrees entirely through distance education, including those students enrolled in Independent Study Program courses. However, several commercial student loans are available for full-time, half-time, and less-than-half-time students and for students not enrolled in degree programs. Many Web sites can help you find information about financial aid.

Return to Top

VA Benefits

If you are an eligible veteran enrolled in on-campus courses for 6 or more semester hours, you are entitled to monthly benefits from the Veterans Administration as follows:

12+ credit hours
9-11 credit hours
6-8 credit hours
=   full-time rate
=   three-quarter-time rate
=   half-time rate

If you are an eligible veteran enrolled in fewer than 6 semester hours, you are entitled to the quarter-time course rate or tuition, whichever is less.

Important: If you are a veteran enrolled in Independent Study Program courses, you may be eligible for VA benefits. Generally, the benefits cover course fees and are paid by the Veterans Administration in monthly installments.

Obtain VA benefits information and assistance from the Veterans Affairs officer or general studies counselor at each Indiana University campus approved for VA assistance.

Educational Support for Military Personnel
Indiana University participates in the Servicemen's Opportunity College (SOC) program and the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) program, which provide educational support for the voluntary education programs of all military departments. If you are a member of the armed forces, consult your education officer or your nearest education center concerning individual enrollments. You may also consult the DANTES Independent Study Catalog for additional information about courses.

The SOC program enables you to enroll in university courses while still on active military duty. Indiana University has named a representative on each campus. You may obtain information from your base education officer.

Return to Top

Indiana University
Office of Creative Services
Von Lee 319
517 East Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47408-4060
(812) 855-5121


Copyright ,, The Trustees of Indiana University