Schools, Departments & Programs
Philosophy investigates fundamental questions about who we are, what we can know, how we should live, and what there is, as well as related foundational questions about mind and body, freedom and responsibility, justice and fairness, morality, logic, mathematics, language, the natural and social sciences, art, and religion. The curriculum of the Department of Philosophy (PHIL) can contribute to the intellectual training of all undergraduates and acquaint them with some of the most important developments in the history of ideas. Courses in the department emphasize clear and cogent thinking about fundamental problems, locate the origins of these problems in the writings of the great philosophers, and provide in-depth examinations of proposed solutions.
Prerequisites for courses may be waived with consent of instructor.
Majors, Minors, and Programs
- Major in Philosophy
- Departmental Honors Program
- Interdepartmental Major in Philosophy and Political Science
- Interdepartmental Honors Program in Philosophy and Political Science
- Interdepartmental Major in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Interdepartmental Honors Program in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Minor in Philosophy
- Minor in Philosophy of the Arts
- Minor in Philosophy of Mind and Cognition
Department of Philosophy
Bloomington, IN 47405
clarkma [at] indiana [dot] edu (EmailPhilosophy)