Departments & Programs
French and Italian
Major in French
Students must complete 30 credit hours in French courses above F100-F150, including at least 27 credit hours from courses taught in French. A maximum of 3 credit hours may be earned by completing courses taught in English offered through the French program (FRIT-F courses). Course work must include:
- 6 credit hours from F222, F305, F306, F310, F311, F361, F362, F363, F375. At least 3 of these credit hours must be earned in courses taught in French.
- 15 additional credit hours with at least 11 credit hours in fourth-year courses, including at least two 3 credit hour FRIT-F courses taken on the Bloomington campus, exclusive of F495, F496, and F499.
- F499 may count for up to 3 credit hours toward the French major, but F399, F495, and F496 may not count toward the 30 credit hours required.
- A minimum of 18 credit hours of course work for the major must be completed on the Bloomington campus or on an IU-administered or IU co-sponsored French-language study abroad program.
- F399, F495, F496, and F499 do not count as courses in residence at IUB.
The departmental course offerings permit French majors to focus their study on French language and linguistics (F313-F314, F315-F316, F401, F402, F474, F475), French literature (F305, F306, F375, F410 through F459), Francophone civilization (F310, F311, F361, F362, F363, F460 through F467), or any combination of the above.
Students must complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.