Distinctions & Opportunities
Opportunities Outside the College
School of Journalism
Certificate in Journalism
Students in good academic standing at Indiana University who are not majoring in journalism, telecommunications, sports communication—broadcast emphasis, or any other major or program that requires a substantial number of mass communications courses are eligible to apply to the certificate program in journalism. Students must file an application with the School of Journalism for admission to the certificate program. To be considered for admission, students must have completed 26 credit hours with a minimum 2.200 cumulative GPA (FX and WF will be calculated as F), including the following:
- One journalism course with a grade of C or higher, chosen from JOUR-J 110, J 200, J 210.
- English Composition with grade of C or higher (or exemption).
- One semester of a foreign language.
- Mathematical Modeling with a grade of C– or higher.
The following courses are required for the certificate. A grade of C– or higher in each course (with the exception of the courses used for admission to the Certificate—J110, J200, or J210—in which a grade of C or higher is required) and an overall GPA of 2.000 in all courses taken for the Certificate are required.1. Core courses (16 cr.):
- J 110 Foundations of Journalism and Mass Communication
- J 155 Research Techniques for Journalists (1 cr.)
- J 200 Reporting, Writing and Editing I
- J 210 Visual Communication
- J 300 Communications Law
- J 410 The Media as Social Institutions
- J 201 Reporting, Writing, and Editing II
- J 303 Online Journalism
- J 315 Feature Writing
- J 341 Newspaper Reporting
- J 342 Magazine Reporting
- J 343 Broadcast News
- J 344 Photojournalism Reporting
- J 349 Public Relations Writing
- J 351 Newspaper Editing
- J 352 Magazine Editing
- J 353 Advanced Broadcast News
- J 354 Photojournalism Editing
- J 362 Journalism Multimedia Storytelling
- J 385 Television News
- J 401 Depth Reporting and Editing
- J 420 Advertising as Communication
- J 429 Public Relations Campaigns
- J 444 Advanced Photojournalism
- J 455 News Analysis and Opinion Writing
- J 463 Graphic Design I
- J 464 Infographics
- J 465 Graphic Design II
- J 488 Agency Practicum–Agency 7
- (Also approved topics of JOUR-J 261, J 360, and J 460)
For more information, visit the School of Journalism Web site at www.journalism.indiana.edu.