Distinctions & Opportunities
Opportunities Outside the College
School of Informatics and Computing
B.A. in Computer Science with HonorsThe computer science honors program gives outstanding students the opportunity to pursue a challenging undergraduate program of courses, independent study, and research leading to departmental honors. Students must satisfy the requirements for the B.A. in computer science and the following additional requirements:
1. Computer science courses must include at least 11 credit hours of honors courses (H courses or Y499).
2. Computer science courses must include at least one of the following:
- Y499, leading to an honors thesis.
- A “programming-in-the-large” (P) course.
- A graduate-level computer science course (500 level or above).
Computer science majors with a minimum grade point average of 3.300 in computer science courses as well as a minimum overall grade point average of 3.300 may apply for admission to the honors program. Ordinarily this is done during the second semester of the sophomore year or the first semester of the junior year by contacting the undergraduate advisor.
Students must complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.