Departments & Programs
Major in Chemistry—B.S.
The B.S. in Chemistry is designed for students planning to seek employment in industry, to pursue graduate work in chemistry, or to attend medical or dental school.
Students must complete the following Foundations, Intensive Writing, Foreign Language, and Breadth of Inquiry requirements:
- Writing, same as B.A. degree (Intensive Writing, English Composition).
- Foreign language, 3 credit hours of any foreign language at the second-year level.
- Arts and humanities, two courses.
- Social and historical studies, two courses.
- Natural and mathematical sciences, fulfilled by major.
- One Critical Approaches to the Arts and Sciences course.
Students must complete the following course work with a minimum grade of C– in each course:
- 45 credit hours of coursework which must include: A315, A318 or C317-C318, N330, C341, C342, S343, C361, C362, P364, and either C483 or C484. The following courses may not be counted in the 45 credit hours required for the major: C103, C107, G201, G207, C240, C243, G307, G407, and G499.
- At least 6 of the remaining credit hours must be in lecture courses at the 400 level or above.
- At least 4 of the remaining credit hours must be in laboratory courses.
- Mathematics M211 and M212, and one of M303 or M311 or M343.
- Physics P221 and P222.
- Biology L112.
Students must also complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.