Requirements for Minors
Many departments in the College of Arts and Sciences offer minors of at least 15 College of Arts and Sciences credit hours. Students majoring in one department (e.g., English) may satisfy the requirements for a minor in a different department (e.g., Religious Studies). A student may complete up to three minors. Those minors that are listed in this Bulletin may appear on student transcripts. A few majors require that students also complete a minor. Students planning to complete a minor should consult the advisor in the department in which the minor is offered.
In completing requirements for minors, students should be aware of the following College of Arts and Sciences policies and procedures:
- A minor must consist of 15 or more credit hours in College of Arts and Sciences courses.
- The residence requirement of at least 6 credit hours in the minor at Bloomington must be met.
- Certain departments and programs do not count 100-level language courses toward the requirements for their minors. Please see the entries under the section of this Bulletin titled "Departments & Programs" for information regarding specific minors.
- Any course in which the student earns a grade below C– may not be used to fulfill a minor requirement.
- The grade point average of all courses taken in fulfillment of minor requirements must be at least 2.000.
- Some minors have a higher overall grade point average requirement.
- Courses taken to satisfy the Foundations requirement in English Composition may not be applied toward a minor requirement.
- Some majors require that students also complete a minor.
For information about specific minors, see departmental statements in this Bulletin.
For minors outside the College of Arts and Sciences that can be listed on a College student’s transcript, please see the section of this Bulletin entitled “Opportunities Outside the College,” which can be found under "Distinctions & Opportunities."