Departments & Programs
Major in Biotechnology—B.S.
Students must complete the following Foundations, Intensive Writing, Foreign Language, and Breadth of Inquiry requirements:
- Writing, same as for B.A. degree (Intensive Writing, English Composition). Intensive Writing (IW) requirement satisfied by an IW class of BIOL-T 322. Note: To avoid schedule conflicts, Biotechnology students should enroll in an IW class of T322 as soon as they complete course prerequisites.
- Mathematics, fulfilled by major.
- Foreign language, three semesters in the same language or equivalent proficiency. Culture studies courses are not required.
- One Critical Approaches to the Arts and Sciences course—students are advised to choose a course that will serve as one of the required arts and humanities or social and historical studies courses listed below.
- Arts and humanities, two courses.
- Social and historical studies, two courses.
- Natural and mathematical sciences, fulfilled by major.
Students must meet the following with a minimum grade of C– in each course and a minimum major grade point average of C (2.000):
- Biology L112 Foundations of Biology: Biological Mechanisms.
- Biology L211 Molecular Biology.
- Either (a) Biology M250: Microbiology Lecture and M255: Microbiology Lab, or (b) Biology M430: Virology and M435: Viral Tissue Culture Lab.
- Biology T301, T310, T312, T315, T322.
- At least four additional courses, chosen from among the following, for a minimum of 12 credit hours: Anatomy A464, Biology L311, L312, L313, L317, L319, L321, L323, L324, L331, M350, M360, M430, M435, M440, M445, M460, M465, M480, M485, L490 (can be taken twice for a total of 6 cr.), T415, Z318, Z373, Z374, Z375, Z466, Z469; Chemistry B487, C361, C432, C443, C481, C485, C487, Medical Sciences P421.
- Mathematics M211 or M215 (or M119 and M120).
- Chemistry C117, C341, C342, C343, N330, A314, A316, and C483 or C484.
- One of the following statistics courses: Mathematics K310, Psychological and Brain Sciences K300 or K310, Liberal Arts and Management Program L316, Statistics S300, or SPEA K300. (Note that although SPEA K300 fulfills the statistics requirement, it does not count toward College of Arts and Sciences credit hours if the total hours allowed outside the College have been met.)
- Physics P201-P202 or P221-P222.
Students must also meet the degree requirements for the B.S. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Students who wish to complete a business minor or the Liberal Arts and Management Program (LAMP) certificate as part of their degree program are advised that they may need to take some of the relevant courses in the summer or in an additional semester. The College of Arts and Sciences allows students to take 22 credit hours outside the College that will count toward graduation. This allowance should also be taken into account when considering the business minor or the LAMP certificate.