Departments & Programs
African American & African Diaspora Studies
Interdepartmental Major in African American and African Diaspora Studies and History
Students must meet the following course requirements for a minimum total of 40 credit hours. No course counting toward completion of the upper-level credit hours requirement of the history concentration can also be counted toward completion of the upper-level credit hours requirement of the African American and African Diaspora Studies concentration. Students must complete an Intensive Writing course in either History (J300) or African American and African Diaspora Studies (A379 or A380).
African American and African Diaspora Studies
At least 18 credit hours at the 200 level or above, of which at least 12 credit hours must be at the 300 level or above, including:
- A150 Survey of the Culture of Black Americans.
- A355 African American History I or A356 African American History II.
- A379 Early Black American Writing or A380 Contemporary Black American Writing.
- 9 additional credit hours from the History, Culture, and Social Issues Concentration. These 9 credit hours may include the Senior Seminar.
At least 18 credit hours of history courses, including:
- At least 15 credit hours of 300–400 level courses (only one of A355 African American History I or A356 African American History II taken in either History or African American and African Diaspora Studies can be counted toward these 15 hours).
- At least one seminar chosen from J400, J450, or K392.
- Any two courses in non-U.S. history (i.e., Western Europe, Russia and Eastern Europe, Ancient, Middle East, Africa, Latin America, or East Asia).
- At least 12 credit hours of these history courses must be completed in residence at the IU Bloomington campus.