Departments & Programs
African American & African Diaspora Studies
Interdepartmental Major in African American and African Diaspora Studies and English
Students must meet the following course requirements for a minimum total of 40 hours.
African American and African Diaspora Studies
At least 18 credit hours, of which at least 12 credit hours must be at the 300 level or above, including:
1. A150 Survey of the Culture of Black Americans.
2. A355 African American History I or A356 African American History II.
3. A379 Early Black American Writing or A380 Contemporary Black American Writing
4. Three courses from the following:
- A249 African American Autobiography
- A283 Blacks in American Drama and Theatre 1767-1945
- A384 Blacks in American Drama and Theatre 1945-Present
- A479 Contemporary Black Poetry
- A480 The Black Novel
- A493 Senior Seminar in African American Studies
At least 18 credit hours at the 200 level or above, of which at least 12 credit hours must be at the 300 level or above, including:
- L202 Literary Interpretation
- L371 Critical Practices
- One 300-level course appropriate to each of four periods in the history of literatures in English—beginnings through the sixteenth century; sixteenth through eighteenth century; the nineteenth century; 1900 to the present