Distinctions & Opportunities
Opportunities Outside the College
School of MedicineThe Medical Sciences Program offers a variety of courses that help prepare students for graduate study and careers in fields such as allied health, exercise science, medicine, dentistry, optometry and nursing. The courses offered are not required for entrance into medical school but are required for admittance to other professional schools.
For more information, please contact the Medical Sciences Office, Jordan Hall 104, (812) 855-0616, or visit the Web site at www.bloomington.medicine.iu.edu. Academic counseling information may be obtained from the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Jordan Hall 010A, (812) 855-7723.
Minor in Medical Sciences
Students earning a Bachelor’s degree from the College of Arts and Sciences may obtain a minor from the School of Medicine. An overall GPA of at least 2.700 is required in course work toward the minor.
Note: The following requirements apply to minors offered and transcripted by the College:
- students must complete 6 credit hours in the minor on the Bloomington campus;
- any course in which the student receives a grade below C– cannot be used to fulfill a minor requirement.
Students must complete at least 16 credit hours to include:
- ANAT A215 (5 cr.) and PHSL P215 (5 cr.)
An additional 6 credit hours from the following 300–400 level electives: MSCI M450 (a maximum of 3 credits may be included in the minor), MSCI M470, MSCI M480, MSCI M485, MSCI M490 (a maximum of 3 credits may be included in the minor), ANAT A464, ANAT A480, PHSL P416, PHYS P314.
Although a Bachelor’s degree is not offered in either anatomy or physiology, the courses listed below are undergraduate courses offered under the auspices of the School of Medicine, Medical Sciences Program. Note that all MSCI courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes under “Medical Sciences,” while ANAT courses are listed under the header “Anatomy” and PHSL courses are listed under “Physiology.” Students should also see the entry for “Biology” in this Bulletin.
- MSCI M131 Disease and the Human Body (3 cr.) CASE N&M
- ANAT A215 Basic Human Anatomy (5 cr.) CASE N&M
- PHSL P215 Basic Human Physiology (5 cr.) CASE N&M
- MSCI M216 Medical Science of Psychoactive Drugs (3 cr.) CASE N&M
- PHSL P416 Comparative Animal Physiology (3 cr.)
- PHSL P421 Principles of Human Physiology (3 cr.)
- MSCI M450 Undergraduate Research in Biomedical Sciences (1–6 cr.)
- ANAT A464 Human Tissue Biology (4 cr.)
- MSCI M470 Mechanisms of Human Disease (3 cr.)
- ANAT A480 Human Anatomy for Medical Imaging Evaluation (3 cr.)
- MSCI M480 Molecular Biology of Cancer: Cell Signaling and Fate (3 cr.)
- MSCI M485 Physiology of Human Disease (4 cr.)
- MSCI M490 Special Topics in Biomedical Sciences (1–6 cr.)
- MSCI M499 Internship in Medical Sciences Instruction (3 cr.)