Departments & Programs
Political and Civic Engagement
Though students can submit an application at any time, most apply during the second semester of their freshman year or the first semester of their sophomore year. Students should discuss the course sequencing with program staff early in their studies at IU.
To be considered for the program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- An overall GPA of 2.700 or above;
- Two PACE courses or electives must have been taken or be in progress at the time of application, one of which must be C210 or C211;
- An application essay of no more than 500 words explaining the student’s interest in the program, including reflections on past political and civic-engagement experiences and aspirations for future ones. This will be submitted with an online application;
- A meeting with the PACE Associate Director;
- One letter of recommendation from an instructor who has supervised some academic work of the student.
Because of the sequential nature of the Certificate requirements, students are encouraged to apply to PACE by the end of their sophomore year. This allows them to complete the core courses and electives before the internship, and all of these before the capstone course. Exceptions to this sequence will be considered based on examination of individual circumstances.