Departments & Programs
Interdepartmental Major in Linguistics and Speech and Hearing Sciences (Focus on Speech Technology)
Students must complete a minimum of 40 credit hours in the major. Students must also complete the degree requirements for the B.A. in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- LING-L 303 Introduction to Linguistic Analysis (3 cr.).
- LING-L 445 The Computer and Natural Language (3 cr.).
- LING-L 306 Phonetics (3 cr.) or Speech and Hearing Sciences S302 (see below).
- At least 6 additional credit hours in Linguistics at the 300 level or above.
Speech and Hearing Sciences
- SPHS-S 110 Survey of Communication Disorders (3 cr.).
- SPHS-S 319 Mathematical Foundation for Speech and Hearing Sciences (3 cr.).
- SPHS-S 302 Acoustics for Speech and Hearing Sciences (3 cr.) or Linguistics L306 (see above).
- At least 6 additional credit hours in SPHS at the 300 level or above.
1. CSCI-C 211 Introduction to Computer Science (4 cr.).
2. At least one of the following courses (or an approved substitute):
- PSY-P 325 Psychology of Learning (3 cr.)
- PSY-P 329 Sensation and Perception (3 cr.)
- PSY-P 335 Cognitive Psychology (3 cr.)
- CSCI-C 212 Introduction to Software Systems (4 cr.)
- CSCI-C 241 Discrete Structures for Computer Science (3 cr.)
- COGS-Q 240 Philosophical Foundations of the Cognitive and Information Sciences (4 cr.)
- COGS-Q 270 Experiments and Models of Cognition (4 cr.)
- COGS-Q 260 Programming for the Cognitive and Information Sciences (2 cr.) and Q 320 Computation in the Cognitive and Information Sciences (2 cr.)
- COGS-Q 351 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Computer Simulation (3 cr.)
3. Additional courses taken from this list or from Speech and Hearing Sciences at the 300 level or above or from Linguistics at the 300 level or above to reach the minimum required total of 40 credit hours.