Departments & Programs
Major in Religious Studies
Single and double majors must complete a total of 27 credit hours including the following:
- One course in Area A (Africa, Europe, and West Asia) above the 100 level.
- One course in Area B (South and East Asia) above the 100 level.
- One course in Area C (The Americas) above the 100 level.
- One course in Area D (Theory, Ethics, Comparison) above the 100 level.
- R389 (Majors Seminar in Religion).
- At least three additional courses at the 300 level or above, including at least one course at the 400 level (other than R494, R495, R496, and R499).
A maximum of two 100-level courses may count towards the major, one of which may be an Arts and Humanities Critical Approaches to the Arts and Sciences course with departmental approval. Six credit hours in courses outside Religious Studies may count towards the major with departmental approval. With approval of both departments and the College, one course may be cross-listed in a double major.
Students must complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Six credit hours in a language beyond the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences may be counted in the major if the language is relevant for advanced course work in the study of religion. Examples of such languages are ancient Greek or Latin, classical Hebrew, Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, or Sanskrit.