Programs by Campus
School of Liberal Arts
Departmental E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Departmental URL: www.iupui.edu/%7epolisci
(Please note that when conferring University Graduate School degrees, minors, certificates, and sub-plans, The University Graduate School’s staff use those requirements contained only in The University Graduate School Bulletin.)
Master of Arts
Special Departmental Requirements
(See also general University Graduate School requirements.)
Applications will be considered all year round. Admission requirements include an undergraduate major in political science, or its equivalent, with a GPA of 3.0 or better, the Graduate Record Examination, with average scores on the General Test of 500 with at least one score of 550 or better, a personal statement and three letters of support.
Foreign Language Requirement
There is no foreign language requirement.
Students must maintain a 3.0 (B) grade point average, and receive minimum course grades of 2.8 (B-).
Master of Arts Degree
A minimum of 33 credit hours made up of the core courses (12 credit hours). All students must complete the following:
- POLS Y570 Introduction to the Study of Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y580 Research Methods in Political Science (3 cr.)
- POLS Y620 State Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y622 Urban Politics (3 cr.)
Electives (9-12 hours). Approved electives may be taken from any department. Approved Political Science courses currently include the following:
- POLS Y624 Indiana Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y630 State Executive Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y640 State Parties and Interest Groups (3 cr.)
- POLS Y642 Comparative Federalism (3 cr.)
- POLS Y657 Comparative Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y661 American Politics (3 cr.)
- POLS Y680 Readings in Political Science (1-6 cr.)
An internship (3-6 hours) with a state, local, or government institution, or with a body having operational ties with such an institution. Students must enroll in POLS Y881, Internship in Political Science. A thesis (6 hours) exploring some aspect of state, local or urban politics. Students must enroll in POLS Y880, M.A. Thesis. Students are strongly advised to allow at least one year for the preparation, completion and defense of a thesis.
There is no final examination.