Programs by Campus
- JSTU-H 500 Topics in Jewish Studies (3 cr.) Topics: Jewish Thought; Zionism and Contemporary Israel Intensive study of selected topics and issues in Jewish Studies. May be repeated with different topics for credit.
- JSTU-H 520 Colloquium in Jewish Studies (4 cr.) This course is an interdisciplinary survey of various methodologies and approaches to the field of Jewish studies.
- JSTU-H 595 Directed Readings in Jewish Studies (1-3 cr.) Directed readings in various topics in Jewish Studies; topics, credit hours, and readings to be determined in consultation with faculty member with whom the student wishes to work. May be repeated twice for up to 6 credit hours.
- JSTU-J 699 M.A. Thesis in Jewish Studies (3 cr.) The thesis should not exceed 40 pages or 12,000 words. Thesis defense before a committee of three faculty members, at least two of whom must be Jewish Studies faculty.
- JSTU-P 598 Internship in Jewish Studies (1-6 cr.) S/F grading. Through internships, students make particular use of their skills, learn new skills, and start to build professional contacts in their field of interest
- ANTH-E 332 Jewish Women: Anthropological Perspectives (3 cr.)
- ANTH-E 600 Seminar in Cultural and Social Anthropology (3 cr.) Topics: Ethnicities of Israel; The Jewish Family; Jewish Women.
- ANTH-E 344 Title (3 cr.) Jews in Moslem Society
- ANTH-E 371 Modern Jewish Culture and Society (3 cr.)
- CMLT-C 505 Western Literary and Intellectual Traditions to 1500 (4 cr.) Topic: Ancient Mediterranean Literature and the Rise of Interpretation
- CMLT-C 545 The Bible and Western Literature (4 cr.) (when topic focuses on Hebrew Bible) Topics: The Poetics of Biblical Narrative; Prophecy and Poetry.
- ENG-L 761 American Poetry (4 cr.) Topic: Conceptualizing Culture after Auschwitz
- ENG-L 780 Special Studies in English and American Literature (4 cr.) Topic: Literature of the Holocaust
- ENG-L 762 Research in Composition, Literacy, and Culture (4 cr.) Topic: Rhetoric, Representation, and the Holocaust
- ENG-W 602 Contemporary Theories in Rhetoric and Composition (4 cr.) Topic: Rhetoric, Representation, and the Holocaust.
- FOLK-F 634 Jewish Folklore and Ethnology (3 cr.)
- GER-Y 501 Beginning Yiddish I (3 cr.)
- GER-Y 502 Beginning Yiddish II (3 cr.)
- GER-Y 503 Intermediate Yiddish I (3 cr.)
- GER-Y 504 Intermediate Yiddish II (3 cr.)
- GER-Y 505 Topics in Yiddish Literature (3 cr.) Topics: Fantasy, Realism, and Fiction: The First Century of Modern Yiddish Literature, 1810-1913; Love, Soul, and Destiny in Modern Yiddish Literature; Readings in Modern Yiddish Poetry; Selected Readings in 20th-Century Yiddish Fiction.
- GER-Y 506 Topics in Yiddish Culture (3 cr.) Topics: Aspects of Modern Yiddish Culture, 1880-1980; Culture, Memory, and Identity: Yiddish in the Post-Holocaust World; Ghetto, Shtetl, and Beyond: Millennium of the History and Sociology of Yiddish; History and Society of Yiddish; Readings in Yiddish Ethnography: Folklore and Dialectology; Yiddish in America.
- GER-Y 815 Individual Readings in Yiddish Studies: Language, Literature and Culture (1-4 cr.)
- HIST-H 523 The Holocaust (3 cr.)
- HIST-H 620 Colloquium in Modern Western European History (4 cr.) Topics: Approaches to Jewish Studies; Jews in Modern Europe; The Judeo-Spanish Diaspora; Life after Death: Rebuilding Germany after World War II.
- HIST-H 640 Colloquium in Russian History (4 cr.) Topics: Jews in Eastern Europe; The Holocaust in the Soviet Union
- HIST-H 645 Colloquium in East European History (4 cr.) Topic: Jews of Eastern Europe.
- HIST-H 680 Colloquium in Cultural History (4 cr.)
- HIST-H 720 Seminar in Modern Western European History (4 cr.)
- HIST-H 740 Seminar in Russian History (4 cr.) Topic: Culture and Empire; Jews in Eastern Europe.
- HIST-H 745 Seminar in East European History (4 cr.)
- HIST-H 780 Seminar in Cultural History (4 cr.)
Institute for Biblical and Literary Studies
- IBLS-I 600 Colloquium in Biblical and Literary Studies (4 cr.) (when topic focuses on Hebrew Bible)
Near Eastern Languages and Culture
- NELC-H 575 Introductory Readings in Hebrew Literature (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 590 Intensive Elementary Hebrew (4 cr.)
- NELC-N 511 Foreign Study in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures (2-8 cr.)
- NELC-N 587 Modern Hebrew Literature in English (3 cr.)
- NELC-N 588 Recent Hebrew Literature in English (3 cr.)
- NELC-N 591 Directed Readings in Hebrew (1-6 cr.)
- NELC-N 675 The Kibbutz in Fact and Fiction (3 cr.)
- NELC-N 687 Modern Hebrew Literature in Hebrew (3 cr.)
- NELC-N 691 Research in Medieval Hebrew Texts (3 cr.)
- NELC-N 695 Graduate Topics in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures (1-4 cr.) Topics: Biblical Themes in Modern Hebrew Literature in English; Introductory Readings in Hebrew Literature; Modern Hebrew Literature in English; Recent Hebrew Literature in English; Recent Hebrew Literature in Hebrew; S. Y. Agnon and the Jewish Experience.
- NELC-N 708 Seminar in Judaic Literature (4 cr.)
- NELC-B 503 Intermediate Biblical Hebrew I (3 cr.)
- NELC-B 504 Intermediate Biblical Hebrew II (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 501 Elementary Hebrew I (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 502 Elementary Hebrew II (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 503 Intermediate Modern Hebrew I (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 504 Intermediate Modern Hebrew II (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 505 Advanced Modern Hebrew I (3 cr.)
- NELC-H 506 Advanced Modern Hebrew II (3 cr.)
- REL-R 511 Religion of Ancient Israel (3 cr.) Topics: The Book of Job and the Crisis of Faith; Studies in Religion (Issues in the Study of the Hebrew Bible); Narrative in the Hebrew Bible.
- REL-R 521 Studies in Early Christianity (3 cr.) Topics: Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Religions; Paul and His Influence in Early Christianity.
- REL-R 541 Studies in the Jewish Tradition (3 cr.) Topics: The Struggle for the Holy Land: Power, Piety, and Politics in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict; Prophecy in Ancient Israel; Judaism in the Making; Introduction to Jewish Mysticism; Messiahs and Messianism in Comparative Perspective; Religious Thought in Medieval Judaism; Religious Issues in Contemporary Judaism (Major Trends in Modern Judaism; Women in Judaism); Talmud, Topics in Ancient Israelite Religion (The Sabbath in Literature and Liturgy); Topics in the History of Judaism.
- REL-R 660 Religion and Culture (4 cr.) Topics: American Jewish Thought and Culture; Studies in American Judaism: Theological and Cultural Perspectives.
- REL-R 672 Religious Thought and Ethics (4 cr.) Topic: The Jewish Jesus: From Antiquity to the Present
- REL-R 610 Studies in Biblical Literature and Religion (4 cr.)
- REL-R 615 The Bible in Literature Courses (4 cr.)
- REL-R 663 History of Biblical Interpretation (4 cr.)
- REL-R 763 History of Biblical Interpretation (4 cr.)
- REL-R 793 Advanced Biblical Study (1-4 cr.)
- REL-R 714 Studies in Jewish Thought and Culture (4 cr.)
Slavic Languages and Literatures
- SLAV-C 564 Modern Czech Literature and Culture (3 cr.) Topic: 20th-Century Literature, History, and Film.
- SLAV-C 565 Seminar in Czech Literature and Culture (3 cr.) Topic: Central European Literature and Culture Between the Wars.
- SLAV-R 545 Jewish Characters in Russian Literature (3 cr.)
- SLAV-S 540 Graduate Readings in Slavic Studies (1-3 cr.) Topic: Yiddish Creativity, Literature, and Culture in Russian Context.