History of the School
More than 150 years ago, in 1852, the Indiana General Assembly took the initial step in the development of the School of Education by providing for the establishment at Indiana University of “a Normal Department for instruction in the theory and practice of teaching.” Discontinued in 1870, the Normal Department was reinstated in 1886 as the Department of Pedagogy, later renamed the Department of Education. This department was part of what is now the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1908, following the enactment of a law that required formal training for public school teachers, the Department of Education became the School of Education . At that time, there were four faculty members and 189 students. In May 1923 the School of Education became autonomous from the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1925 the first B.S. in education was granted, in 1929 the first M.S., and in 1932 the first Ed.D. The Ph.D. with a major in education has been awarded through the University Graduate School since 1924.
In 1951 the School of Education moved into a three-story limestone building on the corner of Third Street and Jordan Avenue on the Bloomington campus. This building also housed the education laboratory school (grades K-12). The School of Education grew rapidly, and eventually the laboratory school was moved to a new facility at the corner of Tenth Street and the Highway 45-46 Bypass. In 1979 the education building was named the W. W. Wright Education Building , in honor of Wendell W. Wright, the second dean of the School of Education (1946-1959) and a university vice president.
Education classes have been taught in Indianapolis since 1914, when the Extension Division of Indiana University was established. As the Indianapolis campus grew and course offerings became more numerous, the Extension Division was renamed the Division of Regional Campuses. In 1969 it was possible to earn a bachelor's degree in education through what had become known as the Indianapolis campus of Indiana University . The following year the branch campuses of Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis were unified in the establishment of Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). At that time, the education program was located at the 38th Street campus.
In 1972 the IUPUI Division of Education was formally established, with faculty offices and classrooms in the Marrott Building on North Meridian Street . Three years later, in 1975, the Indianapolis and Bloomington units merged into a single School of Education . In 1982 the school at Indianapolis moved into a new building on the main IUPUI campus, the Education/Social Work Building, at 902 W. New York Street .
In the 1960s and 1970s, the Indiana University School of Education grew to become one of the largest schools of education in the United States . The Bloomington campus alone had more than 200 education faculty members. In some years, over 200 doctoral degrees and 1,200 master's degrees were awarded. In recent years the school has annually generated from 5 to 7 million dollars of grant money for research, training, and development projects.
The Smith Center for Research in Education on the Bloomington campus was dedicated on June 26, 1975 , to foster research and development in diverse educational areas. Occupying what was formerly the high school building of the university laboratory school, the center for many years housed several academic departments and many externally funded research, training, and development projects. The center was named for Dr. Henry Lester Smith, who in his 30 years as dean of the School of Education (1916-1946) earned an international reputation for his leadership in the field and his strong commitment to research in education. It was largely through his efforts that the School of Education came to exist as a separate school in 1923.
In 1992 the School of Education in Bloomington moved into a new W. W. Wright Education Building , at 201 N. Rose Avenue . This modern facility offers the latest in technological facilities for instruction, training, and research. All academic programs are now housed in this building, with externally funded research, training, and development projects remaining in the Smith Research Center .
The Center for Research on Learning and Technology, located in the Wright Education Building , is a state-of-the-art facility for research and development in the application of technology to instruction. The CRLT has as its mission to promote and support a community of scholars dedicated to research and professional development on the design, use, and implementation of technology to improve learning. These issues are examined in three primary domains: 1) teacher professional development, 2) interactive distributed learning environments, and 3) classroom uses of technology. In fulfilling its role, the center also conducts workshops, creates educational products, trains educational leaders, develops effective management practices, and facilitates educational partnerships among schools, universities, businesses and industries, and private and public organizations.Return to Top
Indiana University Bloomington is a residential campus of approximately 40,000 students. Woods and streams interlacing the 1,800-acre campus make it one of the most picturesque in the country. The university features a wide array of superior cultural offerings, including nearly 1,000 concerts and performances each year from the world-renowned Indiana University School of Music.
Set in the rolling, wooded hills of southern Indiana , the city of Bloomington has been ranked by the New York Times as one of the “Big 10 of College Towns.” Students enjoy Bloomington 's excellent recreational facilities and the excitement generated by Indiana University 's top-ranked athletic teams. Within an hour's drive from Bloomington are several national forests, state parks, and lakes. Indianapolis , the state capital, is 50 miles away; Louisville and Cincinnati are both about 100 miles from Bloomington .Return to Top
Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis is an urban commuter campus located near the heart of downtown Indianapolis . The beautiful, modern campus offers many cultural and intellectual opportunities and is home to the nationally acclaimed Indiana University School of Medicine.
Home of the Indianapolis 500 automobile race, Indianapolis is fast becoming a national center for amateur and professional athletics. The city also hosts the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, the Indianapolis Repertory Theater, the Fine Arts Museum , fascinating historical attractions, an excellent zoo, and the world's largest children's museum.Return to Top
The mission of the Indiana University School of Education is to improve teaching, learning, and human development in a diverse, rapidly changing, and increasingly technological society. We prepare reflective, caring, and highly skilled educational practitioners and scholars who lead in their chosen professions; inform educational theory and practice through research; and work in partnership with a range of constituents to effect change at both local and national levels and throughout the world.
The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
While the primary goal of undergraduate education at the School of Education is the preparation of teachers, a number of graduate programs prepare and provide continuing professional development to teachers and other professional school personnel at the advanced level.
As part of the requirement for NCATE accreditation, the advanced programs for the preparation of teachers and other school personnel have adopted the following seven principles that serve as the conceptual framework for all advanced programs. The first five principles are adopted from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
The School of Education Alumni Association was founded in 1951 "to further the educational, professional, and social interests of the School of Education and the alumni, individually and collectively." The association sponsors alumni receptions at state and national conventions. Chalkboard, the magazine of the School of Education Alumni Association, is distributed to all alumni.
(Area Code 812)
Counseling and Educational Psychology
Joyce Alexander, Chair; Education 4038, 856-8301
Counseling and Counselor Education (master's): Jeffrey Daniels , Education 4008, 856-8304
Counseling Psychology (doctoral): Susan Whiston, Education 4014, 856-8336
Curriculum and Instruction
Cary Buzzelli, Chair; Education 3204, 856-8184
Art Education, Gifted and Talented Education: Enid Zimmerman, Education 3002, 856-8102
Early Childhood Education: Judith Chafel, Education 3214, 856-8136
Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Barry Bull, Chair, Education 4228, 856-8360
Instructional Systems Technology
Elizabeth Boling, Chair; Education 2276, 856-8451
Mary Beth Hines, Chair; Education 3038, 856-8270
(Area Code 317)