In 1951 the School of Education moved into a three-story limestone building on the corner of Third Street and Jordan Avenue on the Bloomington campus. This building also housed the education laboratory school (grades K-12). The School of Education grew ra pidly, and eventually the laboratory school was moved to a new facility at the corner of Tenth Street and Highway 46 Bypass. In 1979 the education building was named the W. W. Wright Education Building, in honor of Wendell W. Wright, the second dean of th e School of Education (1946-1959) and a university vice president.
Education classes have been taught in Indianapolis since 1914, when the Extension Division of Indiana University was established. As the Indianapolis campus grew and course offerings became more numerous, the Extension Division was renamed the Division of Regional Campuses. In 1969 it was possible to earn a bachelor’s degree in education through what had become known as the Indianapolis campus of Indiana University. The following year the branch campuses of Indiana University and Purdue University at Indi anapolis were unified in the establishment of Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). At this time, the education program was located at the 38th Street campus.
In 1972 the IUPUI Division of Education was formally established, with faculty offices and classrooms in the Marrott Building on North Meridian Street. Three years later, in 1975, the Indianapolis and Bloomington units merged into a single School of Educa tion. In 1982 the school at Indianapolis moved into a new building on the main IUPUI campus, the Education/Social Work Building, at 902 W. New York Street.
In the 1960s and 1970s, the Indiana University School of Education grew to become one of the largest schools of education in the United States. The Bloomington campus alone had more than 200 education faculty members. In some years, over 200 doctoral degr ees and 1,200 master’s degrees were awarded. In recent years the school has generated from five to seven million dollars of grant money annually for research, training, and development projects.
The Smith Center for Research in Education on the Bloomington campus was dedicated on June 26, 1975, to foster research and development in diverse educational areas. Occupying what was formerly the high school building of the university laboratory school, the center for many years housed several academic departments and many externally funded research, training and development projects. The center was named for Dr. Henry Lester Smith, who in his 30 years as dean of the School of Education (1916-1946) earn ed an international reputation for his leadership in the field and his strong commitment to research in education. It was largely through his efforts that the School of Education came to exist as a separate school in 1923.
In 1992 the School of Education in Bloomington moved into a new W. W. Wright Education Building, at 201 N. Rose Avenue. This modern facility offers the latest in technological facilities for instruction, training, and research. All academic programs are n ow housed in this building, with externally funded research, training, and development projects remaining in the Smith Research Center.
The Center for Research on Learning and Technology, located in the Wright Education Building, is a state-of-the-art facility for research and development in the application of technology to instruction. The CRLT has as its mission to promote and support a community of scholars dedicated to research and professional development on the design, use, and implementation of technology to improve learning. These issues are examined in three primary domains: 1) teacher professional development, 2) interactive dis tributed learning environments, and 3) classroom uses of technology. In fulfilling its role, the center also conducts workshops, creates educational products, trains educational leaders, develops effective management practices and facilitates educational partnerships among schools, universities, businesses and industries, and private and public organizations.
Set in the rolling, wooded hills of southern Indiana, the city of Bloomington has been ranked by the New York Times as one of the “Big 10 of College Towns.” Students enjoy Bloomington’s excellent recreational facilities and the excitement generated by Ind iana University’s top-ranked athletic teams. Within an hour’s drive from Bloomington are several national forests, state parks, and lakes. Indianapolis, the state capital, is 50 miles away; Louisville and Cincinnati are both about 100 miles from Bloomingt on.
Home of the Indianapolis 500 automobile race, Indianapolis is fast becoming a national center for amateur and professional athletics. The city also hosts the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, the Indianapolis Repertory Theater, the Fine Arts Museum, fascin ating historical attractions, an excellent zoo, and the world’s largest children’s museum.